Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

My cancer

For those that don't know me personally, this post is for you.

I am Tika, a recently turned 42 year old mom in southern Oregon. I homeschool my 2 teenage sons and have my own small business.

In May 2016, I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer after finding a lump in my breast a few months earlier. Why did I wait to get it checked out? I had been getting yearly mammograms since I was 36, and had already been in twice for what turned out to be harmless cysts. I assumed this was another and didn't rush in. I had invasive carcinoma with both ductal and lobular features in my right breast (translated: I had cancer cells in both the milk ducts and lobes of my breast). The cancer cells were not contained and an MRI revealed that there was a second smaller tumor and at least one affected lymph node.
40 days after diagnosis, I had a double mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed. Shortly after that, I began 4 rounds of adriamycin and cytoxan. I just had round 3 of taxol. I have 9 more rounds to go.

Prior to my cancer diagnosis, I had been enjoying the best health of my adult life. I had suffered chronic pain and fibromyalgia for many years, but through dietary and lifestyle changes (and lots and lots of prayer), I'd experienced healing. I was living a healthy and active life. I was eating a clean and nutrient dense diet. I was exercising at least 3 times a week and loving it. I had little need for the many medications I'd previously been on and considered them toxic to my body.

And then I found out I had cancer...

I am not a doctor. I am not qualified to give anyone medical advice. BUT I can share from my personal experience and that is what I plan to do. If you've missed any of my posts this month for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, please click here. And remember, let the flood of PINK you see everywhere this month be a reminder to pray. I believe strongly in the power of prayer. 

Photo: This is me and my husband, Charlie, the day before I went in for surgery. We spent the afternoon dancing at a wedding. Celebrating love and life...

No comments:

Post a Comment