Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Foobs

I set out this month, this October, this Breast Cancer Awareness Month, to educate and bring true awareness to you instead of cheerleaders in pink and pink ribbons on cans of food or cups of coffee. I'm giving you an inside view of my breast cancer battle.

Earlier this month I shared my post-surgery photos and the brutal truth of how my body has been changed physically. It's been 4 months now since my bilateral mastectomy and I'm so thankful for the healing that God has granted my body already. I still have numbness and slight tenderness in spots, especially under my arm where lymph nodes were taken. I went through physical therapy that loosened some of the tightness across my chest but I suspect only time will tell what the longterm effects will be.

When I look in the mirror now I have to remind myself of 2 things- I am wonderfully and fearfully made AND this body is both temporary and a temple. It does matter what I think and feel about my body. I've known this since I was 10 years old. I have to accept all the scars and imperfections AS IS because that's how God sees me. And he loves me just as I am.

That brings me to my foobs.

faux + boobs = foobs

The first ones I got after my surgery in June were basically reminded me of shoulder pads straight out of the eighties. Teardrop-shaped lightweight foam to tuck into special pockets built into my bra. With no weight them, they move all over the place with a simple hug or putting away dishes. (I secretly think they are trying to make their way back to my shoulders!)

See what I mean? 
And then Saturday I got UPGRADED to a pair of silicone foobs with these neat fiberfill pockets on the back. They are heavy enough to stay in place. They warm up to my body temperature and feel somewhat "normal". The best part about these new foobs is that special pocket. I can adjust how much or how little fiberfill goes into each one. This will be especially handy next year when I begin the reconstruction process. More on that later. 
You might wonder why I'm sharing this. Well, mostly because these are just some of the things I wish someone would have told me about before my mastectomy. I think it would have given me some measure of comfort to know my options instead of just being rushed into surgery. So there you have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment