Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Illusion

illusion[ ih-loo-zhuhn ] noun
1. something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.2. the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.3. an instance of being deceived.

I woke bright and early this morning, got dressed and ready to go pick blueberries with my son. As I poured my required (and much anticipated) cup of coffee, I paused for a moment. "Things are not always what they appear to be." Well, that was an interesting thought... Where did that come from? It felt like a gentle whisper.

We left, picked our berries, and headed home to prepare for a busy day. Cleaning the house, attend a baby shower, deliver our county fair exhibits, and tending to my still-hurting husband. "Things are not always what they appear to be." Really? Okay...that's nice...?

And then I saw it.

A dust bunny.
Yes, a real life, honest to goodness, dust bunny. And it was hopping across my living room floor!

"Things are not always what they appear to be."

Dust bunnies! How can that be? Well, yes...I hadn't swept or mopped yet, so there was surely bound to be a dust bunny here or there in this dusty, dirty country house...but HOPPING? How can that be?

My blueberry-pickin' partner walked in the room as I stood there pondering, and witnessed this spectacle for himself. "Did that just move??" Yep. Hoppin' dust bunny. You saw it with your own 2 eyes!

As it hopped again, we noticed the cluster of dust pull apart just enough to reveal our visitor's true identity. A frog in dust bunny's clothing!

I scooped it into my hands and took him outside. His natural moist body had dust particles clinging to his skin and it wouldn't come off. I sent my son for a bowl of water, gave our master illusionist a quick bath and his disguise fell away. Away he hopped.

"Things are not always what they appear to be."

Even though my brain told me no, my eyes saw what they saw and, for a moment (or 3), I believed! I was astonished at how easily I was deceived...misled by this false impression of reality.

And I would do it again...not even an hour later when we received a call that reeked of bad news...and more to come. I will trust God that it is not what it appears to be, since that seems to be what he's been trying to tell me all day.

Lord, forgive my foolishness. Please help me to not be deceived, but to seek the truth, despite what I see with my own 2 eyes. Protect me from believing the lies that come my way. Help me to see through your eyes- clear, perfect, and true. Help me to keep my eyes on you. Lord, may your will be done in our lives today and always. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment