Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Different

I just wanted to water my struggling lawn and garden. As dry a it is here, I was content to move the single hose and sprinkler, however long it took. Everything gets a good soaking and I get to check the progress along the way. Plenty of time for peaceful prayer...

My husband, God bless him, had a better idea.

Yesterday, he came home from work with 2 new hoses and 2 rainbird-type sprinklers. "Just connect them all together (end to end) and water it all at once."  Okay, but...

No "buts" about it. Today, I did as he instructed, got them all connected and strung throughout my yard. I hooked up the 100+ feet of hoses, set the sprinklers, and adjusted the spray zone. I turned the water on and walked back to see how it was working. I could have cried...water was spraying in every direction, so I couldn't walk through without getting soaked...there went my peaceful prayers as I resorted to desperate ones for patience. There was very little water pressure since the hoses were so long and there were 2 sprinklers spraying every which way. I gave up, switched back to one sprinkler, and went inside.

I find that there are 2 kinds of people:
•Those that are always looking for the fastest and easiest way in life.
• Those that pay attention to every detail and don't mind taking the time to do it, slow and steady.

There are pros and cons to both, you see. And yet it's rare to consistently find all of those qualities wrapped up in one individual.

Fast & Easy
+ wastes no time
+ makes quick decisions
+ always looking for short cuts
- misses important details
- doesn't always see the "big picture"
- always looking for short cuts

Slow & Steady
+ plans ahead, organized
+ considers things from many angles
+ rarely takes chances with the "new"
- needlessly worries over potential problems
- unable to make quick decisions
-rarely takes chances with the "new"

I know my husband was just trying to make my life easier. I know he doesn't realize how much I enjoyed the redundancy of this mindless task, perhaps he even saw it as tedious or a waste of time.

We are each created so differently...yet so perfectly for each other.

It's time we had a little talk...so I can say thank you for his thoughtful gesture and explain how I treasure the simple tending of my yard, my quiet time of worshipping the Lord.

I am thankful that God has blessed us with such a rich variety of personalities, each beneficial in their own special way. I pray that God continues to show me the blessings he has blooming right before my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment