Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Praying for Our Sons~ DAY THREE

DAY THREE ACTION STEPS
  • READ | If you haven’t already, read through “The Importance of Obedience” (pg. 13-14) and work through any (or all) of the Study Questions that enhance your time in this challenge!
  • PRAY | Work through the 10 prayers on Submission to Authority (pg. 16) using whatever method works best for you! (See DAY ONE for ideas)
  • COMMENT | In regards to submitting to authority, how can you best lead your son(s) by example?  Is this something you struggle with or do you have some advice for another mama?


Dear Prayer Warriors,
I had a conversation the other day with my oldest son, explaining that God places people in authority over us according to His Will. Sometimes this is only for a short time (like working a summer job), others a lifetime (as a wife to her husband). I needed him to understand that it is part of God’s plan for him to submit to the authority of his parents in love and obedience to God.
my little cowboys (2009)
While my sons may only be under my authority for a short time, it is more important that they understand the source of that authority…God, Our Heavenly Father. He is the Eternal One!
Today as we pray for our sons on Submission to Authority, I encourage you think about the last time you told your son that you were proud of a choice he made to submit to authority, especially a choice that you knew must have been a personal struggle for him. No matter how old they are, our sons need to know that “Mama sees” and “Mama rejoices” over their wise choices and cries out to God over their foolish ones. Look for an opportunity today to pour on the praise when your son chooses wisely…even in the small things! I’m seeing this in action with my own sons and it’s amazing how God is working in their hearts.

Signature

Day Three – Submission to Authority
Encouragement from Brooke, author of Warrior Prayers~ Praying the Word for Boys in the areas they need it most:
Today's topic flows nicely from day one’s topic, doesn’t it?
All of their lives, our sons will find themselves needing to submit to someone. From parents, to teachers, to bosses, to government officials, and even to God Himself, they will always have someone in a position of authority over them.
The other day my son fell off of an old metal merry-go-round and was nearly hit in the head by the spinning giant. I nearly had heart failure. His little blond head seemed less than an inch away from certain death … or at least a serious head injury. So, in typical mama bear fashion, I forbade him to get on it again. Later, an older friend of his showed up and got on the merry-go-round, all the while doing his best to coax my son on with him. I watched the exchange from a bench nearby, careful to stay out of sight, and allow my son to make his own choice. He wanted to get on. His little legs twitched, inching close and stepping back, inching close and stepping back … his own internal merry-go-round of decision--obey mom or have fun?
I don’t want you to think my son always chooses to submit to my authority, but this particular day, he did. As his friend whirled around gleefully I heard his precious little voice say, “My mommy says I can’t get on.” He hung his head, turned around, and saw that I had been watching the whole thing. When our eyes met he saw rejoicing in mine … and I held up my arms in victory and watched him run to me to celebrate.
“But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.” ~Acts 5:29
Submission to Authority
May ________________________ obey his leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over his soul, as those who will have to give an account. Let him do this with joy and not with groaning (Hebrews 13:17).
May ________________________ submit himself therefore to God. May he resist the devil, so he will flee from him (James 4:7).
May ________________________ submit to laborers of the Gospel and to everyone who joins in the work (1 Corinthians 16:16).
May ________________________ submit to others out of reverence for Christ (Ephesians 5:21).
May ________________________  be subject to the Father of spirits and live (Hebrews 12:9).
May ________________________ agree with God, and be at peace; so good will come to him (Job 22:21).
May ________________________ be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God (Romans 13:1).
May ________________________ submit himself to the LORD (2 Chronicles 30:8).
May ________________________ , who is younger, be subject to elders. May he clothe himself with humility toward others, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (1 Peter 5:5).
For freedom, Christ has set us free; may ________________________ stand firm therefore, and not submit again to a yoke of slavery (Galatians 5:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment